Planning and Development
Except as provided for in the following list, no person shall commence a development unless he has been issued a development permit in respect of the development. An application for development must be made to the Development Officer by providing:
- A completed development permit application
- A site plan, which identifies the location of the development in comparison to all other structures and the property lines
- Any other information that the Designated Officer deems appropriate
- The fee as per the current bylaw
An application for a development permit must be made by the owner of the property or with the written consent of the owner, if by any other person.
No development permit is required for the following:
- Concrete or asphalt parking surfaces (excluding carports)
- Sidewalks or concrete surfaces
- Fences, with a rear yard maximum height of 6 feet (2M)
- One portable tool shed and/or portable greenhouse per lot, with a maximum dimension of 10 feet x 12 feet
- Interior building renovations that do not affect the existing use, structural integrity, appearance or exterior dimensions of the dwelling
If there is any doubt whether a development fits the list above, please contact the Development Officer for decision.
All signs (whether temporary or permanent) erected within the Town of Cardston require a permit. Contact the Development department for details.